Monday, October 26, 2009

MidSummer Night's Dream Swap/Challenge...Finally Posted in October!

I belong to a boatload of jewelry related Yahoo groups. Mostly I lurk and absorb the talent displayed, but occasionally I join in on the fun. Back in March on the WWJSwaps-n-Challenges group one of the members named Lisa proposed a swap/challenge. The theme was Shakespeare's "A MidSummer Night's Dream". We had to create a wire item of our own creation that could be used in a completed piece (e.g, a clasp, charm, focal, etc.) and that fit with the theme. We then sent our completed item to our partner and they in turn sent theirs to us. I made this pendant named "Fairy's Lyre" in copper and pale pink and green Swarovski crystals as that was the metal and colors my swap partner requested. This was of my own design and not from a pattern. The superstructure of the lyre is all one piece of wire. The tight weaving work took awhile! I was quite pleased with the results and was sad to send this one on its way! I told my Swap partner Betty that I preferred either sterling silver or rolled gold and to surprise me. This is the fabulous pendant Betty made for me.

That was the swap, now for the challenge! The second part of this activity was to create a full piece in the theme that incorporated the completed item we were mailed. This is the piece I made using Betty's pendant. It is called "Titania's Torque, Necklace of a Queen" after one of the characters in the play. Betty made this stunning necklace called "Celtic Spring". Gorgeous isn't it!!

If you've never taken part in a swap or a challenge I suggest you jump in and try. It's fun and enlightening! Thank you Betty for your lovely work and insrpiration and thank you Lisa for thinking of and running the challenge!

Pieces Completed: April 2009

4 comments:

Christie Bryant said...

Breathtaking! I've never made jewelry but this makes me want to!

Tangled Stitch said...

Tatiana's Torque is absolutely lovely! What beautiful jewelry altogether!

Nancy Hinchliff said...

First time I've been to your blog. I love it! It's attractive and interesting and the jewelry if amazing. You are so talented

Nancy Hinchliff said...

I just love your site, Melissa...it's so creative and attractive and the jewelry is amazing. Hope you're going to post more soon.